Original article: https://www.strate.design/metier-designer-produit
In this article, you’ll learn how to become a product designer and what courses you have to take up to become a product designer?
What is Product Design?
Product design is the activity of designing common objects and products in our daily life, manufactured as unique pieces, in small or in large numbers, and in an industrial way.
A Product Designer mainly relies on the use of innovative solutions to improve the quality of life of people. Combining aesthetics and function, a product designer’s creations must be both adapted to the company’s know-how and brand image, and also meet the expectations of end-users, to bring them better solutions.
There are various fields that require the services of a product designer. Some of these include healthcare, medicine, jewellery, sports and recreation, furniture, etc.
Skills Required to Become a Product Designer
In addition to drawing, 3D modelling, CAD/CAM software, and creativity, the product designer must demonstrate:
- Empathy – to put oneself in a position of use of the product in the place of the end-user
- Curiosity – to question existing usage, usage scenarios, and users behaviour
- Formalization – to be able to illustrate a product’s purpose and formalize its solutions
- Excellent knowledge in human and behavioural sciences
- General culture – to give meaning and realism to their creations, both aesthetically and functionally
- Exceptional knowledge of the company and its manufacturing practices and processes
- Good communication skills – to work in collaboration with engineers, marketers, and stakeholders involved and be able to manage multidisciplinary teams
Product designers can work:
- In a specialized agency
- As a freelancer
- As an independent multidisciplinary centre of expertise, in association with others independent from complementary sectors of activity
- In start-ups
- In a consulting firm
- In an integrated environment within an SME
- Integrated into an industrial group or an industry
Salary of a Product Designer
Given the diversity of the designer’s status, the salary of a product designer will vary.
Salary packages also differ based on the job role, location, and experience. When starting out, you may make about INR 4,40,000 per year. With around 1–4 years of experience, you can earn, on an average, INR 5,53,776 per year. As you gain more experience, you can expect a salary upwards of INR 10,00,000 per year. If you have spent over a decade in the industry, then you can see a boost in your salary. Product designers at reputed firms, with 10+ years of experience, earn around INR 13,00,000 per year.
Product Designer Training
At Strate, the Product Design course runs for a duration of 5 years. The comprehensive course includes a host of interesting topics that are in-tune with the needs of the industry. Besides the training, students participate in conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.
Students also partake in masterclasses conducted by French industry professionals. These masterclasses help them gain invaluable expertise in product design and acclimates them to the real-world.